Wednesday 19 October 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 221 - Radjah Shelduck

You can't have failed to have noticed that I like ducks.  If you have ever posted am image of a duck, it's probable that I liked it.  There is something so wonderfully peaceful about ducks I think.

This week's WBW is brought to you by the Radjah Shelduck (which is a combination of words that auto-correct seems to hate!).  This is a duck that is restricted to the north and northern parts of the east of Australia.  In other words it's not a bird I see on a regular basis.

These birds were taken at two location in the Northern Territory - the first four images were taken at the appropriately named Bird Billabong, and the others on the rather more famous Yellow Waters.  I watched the duckling for a good 10 minutes and they did not spot preening at all!

There is no real information to be had about this birds scientific name - Tadorna radjah as it means Radjah Shelduck!   The birds are about 50 cm long with a wing span close to 100cm.  It also seems that they are fond of mud!








I think that I am finally to be back up to speed after at least 3 weeks of less than perfect health.  Now its your turn to click the blue button and join in with WBW.  SM

20 comments:

  1. Very handsome ducks! I hope you're back up to full speed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful ducks. We saw a few of them in Cairns when I visted the are. It was one of the species I had on my wish list, so I was happy. Gorgeous images :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ducks too Stewart!!!! [wild AND tame]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ducks. Enjoying the mud just like our Shelduck over here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I have ever seen these before, interesting post. Cheers Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unusual looking ducks! I always enjoy seeing "new to me" birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's not to like about 'em. Great walk. Great glare. Cool smiles. Their feathers fold together in intricate designs. And their quak quak quak is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stewart, I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Enjoyed your photos of this very interesting duck. I have never seen this kind before. Here's hoping that by next week you will be 100 percent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn that Auto correct!!! Glad you're feeling better! Ducks are pretty darned cool to watch...I agree that they're rather peaceful to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who grew up between two bodies of water named "Duck Lake" and "Duck Pond" I can appreciate your attachment to ducks. This week's selection is a perfect example - and I always enjoy seeing birds that we don't have here in the US. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Stewart!:) Yes! Very different than the Shellducks I know, but lovely ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry you haven't been well, Stewart! Glad to hear you are doing better. These ducks are wonderful! I had never seen them before. In shape (if not in color) they remind me of Whistlers. A "Bird Bilabong!" Now that sounds like inspiration for song or poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are finally feeling better. Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool ducks. Sometimes I think I'm just torturing myself viewing all these birds that I may never see :-( :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, leave it to you to find yet another "never heard of before" duck. These are pretty cool characters. Let me assume it was breezy the day you were photographing them. Either that or they are terribly unkept ... goes well with the loving of mud :) You can tell the female by the big mouth yakedy yak yaking ... I have been told that, at least among Mallards, the females are the only ones that speak :) Anyway, good news that you are back to normal. It does take awhile for your body to regroup after being sick. Hope the rest of the family is well. Love the Radjah Shellducks ...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stewart, good to hear you are back in gear. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty coloring..Glad you are feeling better..Ducks are always fun to watch..It's nice that they don't flit around like the birds..Easier to capture..I have no birdies for you this week..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that "quack" shot! That's a duck I've never heard of. Ducks are just starting to migrate through our area. I'll have to do a duck post soon!

    ReplyDelete