Thursday 29 December 2011

28th December 2011 - SkyWatch Friday












This is my last sky for 2011.

As you can see it’s an example of what I think is called crepuscular rays. I was up early yesterday and the picture is taken just after 6.30 am. There were other very nice skies all around me as I drove, but it’s next to impossible (and deeply unsafe!) to take pictures while driving on a freeway on your own.

When I finally stopped to be able to take a picture I could not believe my luck. There was interest in the fore ground and the sky behind. Also I like the way that there is light and dark on the horizon, and an open gate. This seems like both an invitation and a statement of reality for the New Year. There may be patches of darkness, but they lie through the same gate as the light. You really cant have one without the other.

If you don’t wish to spoil the romance of the picture I suggest you stop reading now and leave a comment, visit my other web page, but don’t read the next paragraph.

This picture was taken at Werribee Sewage Works. It’s a grassland area that was once used to process all of the waste (you know what I mean) from the eastern side of Melbourne. It’s now a fantastic (if a little smelly) place to bird watch. The sewage is still treated here, but no longer by flooding grassland with “waste water”.

I’ve had a great year and I like the irony of posting an image at the end of it which is basically a pile of sh*t!

You can be able to find other skies at Skywatch Friday.

You can also see the most recent post on my other blog by clicking the “Paying Ready Attention” link on the RHS of the screen.

Enjoy the skies, enjoy the weekend and see you in 2012

20 comments:

  1. Lovely shot and skywatch. The birds do not seem to mind where they hang out do they? Great photo, Happy New Year, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me laugh! sometimes the reality of life just IS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a fabulous shot! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Stewart, fantastic capture of those rays! Stinky or not, it's a beautiful shot. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous capture, Stewart! I do love those rays of light! Hope your week is going well and wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sky and Happy New Year from Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "turning point" in this post! Still chuckling! Very timely for the New Year!

    And the photo is stunning! Love the gate silhouette!

    May you enjoy good health, peace and happiness in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a spectacular shot!!! Have a Happy New Year. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible sight! Happy New Year!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo. Funny I just did a post on the kibbutz reservoir the other day, ours doesn't smell;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it is a wonderful capture, Stewart. Glad you did the right thing and stopped to take the picture - that way we got to see it too!
    Best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed both blogs - thank you. Drop in any time. Happy New Year. Fab photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Que 2012 traga novos sonhos, novas alegrias e muita inspiração para belas fotos!
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil

    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨/¸.¤ª“˜¨˜“¨
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¸.¤ª“˜¨¨˜“¨
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¤ª“˜¨¨ª“˜¨
    ¨¨¨¸.•°` BOAS FESTAS!!!
    ¸.•°`♥✿⊱╮FELIZ 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's certainly not a crappy photo, despite the location :) I love those rays, although where I live they're more likely at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the lovely picture and the lovely verbal image -- and ..uh, the other image too! Because that one made me laugh out loud. And who doesn't need that? Happy New Year to you too ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful skyline ! :0) Wish you a Happy New Year ! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photo Stewart. Happy new year and hope you have a great 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful sky! And you know what, when I was in nursing school, our campus was just a short way from a nature area that was part of a sewage treatment plant. Didn't smell good, but was very quiet and a beautiful place to walk and with much wild life and so many birds. I walked there often as a nursing student.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just as well the clouds are not influenced by the thought of the location. A lovely shot indeed.

    ReplyDelete